I’d upgraded by home machine to Mavericks fairly soon after the OS was released, but hesitated in upgrading my main work machine. I didn’t want to have extensive downtime while tracking down odd dependencies and incompatibilities.
Well, time came to upgrade. It seemed safe. Everything was fine on my home machine. So I went ahead and upgraded my work machine.
Suddenly, I couldn’t get MacPorts to build MySQL.
I had followed the migration guide carefully. I tried all the usual tricks. In the port /opt/local/var/macports/build/…/config.log, the error was:
ld: library not found for -lcrt1.10.6.o
Google seemed to think this indicated that my Xcode command-line tools were not installed correctly. That library should be installed with all of the Unixy support that comes with Xcode’s command-line tools. Within the Xcode application, it told me that I had the command-line tools 5.1.1 (5B1008) properly installed. When trying various command-line options, the command-line tools were, in fact, installed. For example, xcrun gave the exact results one would expect.
Other tests also made it look like everything was good:
# xcode-select -p
Numerous Googled sites said to use the “xcode-select” command to install the tools if they were not functioning properly. Eventually, I gave in and tried it. Interestingly, this yielded an unexpected result:
# xcode-select --install
xcode-select: error: no developer tools were found, and no install
could be requested (perhaps no UI is present), please install
manually from 'developer.apple.com'.
Since I had originally installed Xcode under Leopard from a downloaded package rather than recently through the App store, I thought perhaps in the various upgrades something had gotten messed up. I decided to completely uninstalled Xcode:
I also removed the vestigial /Developer directory, and the /Application/Xcode directory.
I re-installed Xcode from the App store. Everything functioned and/or failed exactly as it had before.
In desperation, I downloaded the Mavericks command line tools package from Apple, and installed it. It should be the same thing as what was installed with Xcode. But it evidently is not, because now I can build the MacPort for MySQL.
edit/update: It may not be clear above, but normally doing the “xcode-select –install” is all that’s needed. It’s also not stated above, but I tried that after re-installing Xcode from scratch, and had the same issue. Evidently, whatever was mis-configured on my machine is quite rare.