Several years ago, we replaced our commodity hardware firewall (a Sonicwall SOHO from ’01) with pfSense running on an unused Dell 4100 desktop from that same year.
pfSense was a little confusing to configure the first time through (doing 1-to-1 NAT with virtual IPs and CARP was initially confusing, but the pfSense forums and The Google came to our rescue). Once in place, though, it did a great job. And when I say a great job, I mean that we could pretty much forget about its existence. It just hummed away in the background, and everything worked. When we needed to check up on our ISP, we discovered that quality of service logging was already supported, as well as pretty graphs of various connection properties. Very nice!
Over the last weekend, the 4100 locked up, and our connection was interrupted. Rebooting gave a firmware error about a bad disk in drive A: — but there was no disk in the drive. Power cycling, opening the machine, wiggling some cables, and blowing out some dust brought it back up, and all was well. Except it wasn’t, really. The machine spontaneously rebooted a number times over the next few days, and occasionally got into the “bad disk in drive A:” boot failure, requiring a hard power cycle. As I watched on the console, I saw the kernel fault out after too many memory checksum errors. The old machine was giving up the ghost.
After commissioning another old desktop (an ’07 vintage Dell, this time), I was able to install pfSense on it. I had to disable some of the extraneous hardware in the BIOS, but after about an hour I had it installed, booting, and ready to go. I was able to simple dump the configuration from the old firewall, load it into the new machine, reassign the LAN and WAN interfaces to the proper devices, and swap the boxes out. voila! Back in business!
With any luck, I won’t have to repeat this process for another five years.