I have WordPress automatically updating itself and its plugins using a cron job that uses the magical WordÂ PressÂ CLI. Overall, I’m pretty happy with it. But then, one day, the latest version installed, and my “editing experience” has gone to the new Gutenberg editor.
Now, like all creatures of habit, my first response was “what?!” As I’ve written before, I resist changing things that are otherwise perfectly functional. But then I thought it was an opportunity to work on maintaining that brain plasticity and build some new neural connections. Instead of immediately installing the plugin that allows me to keep the old editor, I’d give the new one a try.
Initially, it did not go well.
Turning to the interwebs for support, I didn’t see much that was helpful. This thread and this one both talked about issues and solutions, none of which seemed to apply. My server is sending proper headers, I don’t have any weird plugins, etc. I checked my user profiles, and they were set to use “Visual Editor.”
It was this last item that was indeed the culprit, though. Unchecking the “Use Visual Editor” and saving my profile, then rechecking the “Use Visual Editor” checkbox and saving my profile fixed things. How fucking annoying. Get out of the car, get back in the car.
In any case, I’m getting used to Gutenberg. I can’t say I like it more or less than the previous editor.